Just a reminder that tonight, 12-18 at 7:00 will be the check presentation ceremony. Please stop by, enjoy a beverage and some snacks with your neighbors and see how much we have raised!
Santa will be making a stop at 54 Stony Brook Drive sometime between 7-8 pm
Santa will be making a stop at 54 Stony Brook Drive sometime between 7-8 pm on THURSDAY, December 18th...just in time for the check presentation! Please bring along some goodies to enjoy with the hot cocoa, warm fire and music. Santa will arrive in style on the back of a firetruck so bring your cameras!!!!!
PS…Please check the sign in the front window located at 54 Stony Brook Drive for the current amount raised so far for The Kevin Guest House. All checks can be made out to: The Kevin Guest House…
As of this posting…we have raised over $5,000!!!!
We would like to take this opportunity to ask you assist us in communicating further with you going forward.
- Please use the box on the right hand side to signup for our newsletter so we can keep you updated year round on how your donations are being put to good use!
- NextDoor is a social network limited to specific neighborhoods. This will allow us to better communicate. It is very easy to signup by clicking on the following link.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Facebook
Thank you very much!
StonyBrook Shines for Others
Kevin Guest House, the nation’s first Hospital Hospitality House, offers a safe, warm, secure respite providing comfort, support and affordable accommodations for patients, outpatients and their loved ones.
Kevin Guest House has been welcoming guests to our community for over 39years. Kevin Guest House provides an atmosphere of caring and hospitality which helps families focus on their loved-ones, without the stress of finding temporary, affordable accommodations near local health care facilities and services. This “home away from home” serves more than 1,200 people each year that might otherwise have to endure substandard accommodations at a very difficult time in their lives.
Mr. and Mrs. Cyril Garvey of Sharon, Pennsylvania were instrumental in acquiring the property located near the corner of Ellicott and High Streets in Buffalo, N.Y, now known as Kevin Guest House, as a memorial to their son Kevin who, on January 14, 1972, at the age of 13, lost his battle with cancer. During the period of Kevin’s treatment at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, the Garveys became aware that many other families, who were also experiencing stressful situations with loved ones undergoing cancer treatment, were unable to afford adequate housing near the hospital. Some of these families slept in their cars as a last resort!
Thus, the Garvey family’s memorial to Kevin was established to provide temporary, safe refuge for patients and their families at a nominal fee. In 1972, a group of civic-minded community leaders formed a not-for-profit corporation, complete with a Board of Directors, to supervise the management of Kevin Guest House. Volunteers obtained donations of paint, wallpaper and furniture, and began renovating the main house. Through their persistence and hard work, Kevin Guest House welcomed its first guests on July 26, 1972. This hospitality has been extended to families of patients who are receiving treatment at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo General Hospital and other area hospitals.
In cooperation with the Roswell Park bone marrow treatment unit, the four apartments adjacent to the main house were made available for that purpose. One of them is completely handicapped accessible. These guest spaces serve bone marrow patients who require separate housing due to their severely weakened immune systems. Of equal importance to the patients is the home-like atmosphere of each apartment, which truly does help to promote the physical and mental wellness of each guest.
We are so very fortunate to have the very first hospitality house right here in Western New York! Please make a donation so that we can make our neighborhood shine while helping the Kevin Guest House grow!
Without the help of our community and business sponsors, we would not be able
to raise the amount of money we do each year! Thank you to the following
sponsors, who have helped to raise money for our charities of choice. We hope that you can personally thank them by using their
services and/or just saying thank you!
2014 Sponsors so far!
1. DKM Sales…over 20 GORGEOUS signs were created and hung in our neighborhood and for Moore Avenue Shines in Tonawanda! Please go to DKMsales.com to see what they are all about.
2. RIPAS Restaurant….please consider going to RIPA’s for your next lunch or dinner, especially during the holiday season. A great place to eat…and a great sponsor! Visit http://www.RIPAS.com….you can like them on Face Book!)
3. RIVAS Pizzeria…located just down the street from Stony Brook…call 681-2021 and place your holiday orders for some pizza and wings!
4. ADAMS Nursery and Garden Center…they have donated every year since we began to ask for business sponsors. Please check out their Christmas display and trees. Located at 5799 Genesee Street…nice and close!
5. RONNY’s TAKE OUT…call 716-681-1900 located at 222 Aurora Street (at Como Park Blvd) in Lancaster. Be sure to call them for those yummy quick and easy meals this holiday season.
6. Liberty Taxes/Mr. Eric Porter…visit them on George Urban Boulevard during the upcoming tax season!
7. TRS Heating and Cooling…you have seen them in the neighborhood for sure…we are thankful for their support! Give them a call for your heating and cooling needs!
8. Brady Work Place Safety Group..what a wonderful addition to our business sponsors…thanks for your generous donation! Please think of them for all of your business safety needs.
9. Maureen and Anthony Prinzbach (Hunt Realty)…as always, Maureen has contributed a very generous amount to our event this year. If you would like to sell your house (why would you?) or happen to know someone looking for a new house…please give her a call!
222 Aurora Street (at Como Park Blvd.), Lancaster, New York 14086
PIZZA •WINGS • SUBS • TACOS • DINNERS • and more!
Our 2013 Sponsors….
DKM and RIPAS Restaurant and…Tops Markets…Transit Road Lancaster Adams Nurseries... Ronny’s Take Out… Try-It Distributing Co, Inc… Hunt Real Estate Marrano Marc Equity and friends/employees…. Heather DeCarolis (owner) of De Salon.. Upstate Niagara Cooperative, Inc.. Canine and Company.. SMAZ Landscaping and Plowing…Salvatores Italian Gardens..
If you were not able to attend last year’s check presentation…you missed out! We must have had close to 100 people attend who enjoyed hot cocoa, treats, music and a roaring hot fire. Santa even came thanks to his friends from the BOWMANSVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT gave him a lift!
We raised the most amount of money EVER! The many doctors, nurses and administrators who joined us that night were THRILLED with the amount of money raised.
like our winter just may be bright…at least in our neighborhood! It will be another magical year…this year, to benefit our friends at The Kevin Guest House of Buffalo.
Once the donations start coming in please take a look at our sign posted at 54 Stony Brook that
will tell you the most up to date total amount collected. Looking forward to receiving donations and watching those lights shine brightly!
be sure to send yours in ASAP…the check presentation will be on December 18 at 7 pm (54 Stony Brook Drive)…outside in our driveway!