A little information about the charity:
Essential Care for Children is a home-based palliative (symptom control) care program that provides coordination of medical services, providing psychosocial and spiritual support to children and their families. Essential Care is a pediatric program of Supportive Medical Partners, an affiliate of The Center for Hospice & Palliative Care. Our program works closely Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo and Roswell Park Cancer Institute. We give a child and family complete and consistent care; physical, spiritual and emotional – at home or in the hospital.
Essential Care is available to children, from infancy through adolescence, who have been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. We care for children who live in Erie and parts of Niagara, Genesee and Cattaraugus counties. Our referrals come from physicians, but often it’s a family member or friend who refers people to Essential Care.
Flyers will be passed out to Stony Brook and Quail Run subdivisions during the morning hours of October 24th. Children and families are encouraged to help! If your son or daughter needs hours for school, this is one of many opportunities that I can supply them with for hours. If there are any further questions or if you are able to help, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP! Thank you
Thanks for a wonderful event! Stony Brook Shines for Others certainly came through this year and we can’t wait to see how brightly we will shine in 2015!!!!!
What a night! Santa showed up, along with his reindeer and an elf….he enjoyed meeting so many neighbors as they sat on his lap and told him everything they hope to get for Christmas. If anyone has any digital pictures of the evening or our neighborhood…can you please forward them to email@example.com so that they can be added to our website?
Our guests from the Kevin Guest House, Moore Avenue Shines, Tops Supermarkets, along with the dozens of families enjoyed some hot cocoa, coffee and lots of treats too! We are so thankful that we were able to present to them a check for over $8300!!!! However, more donations came in and the total amount presented to The Kevin Guest House was actually….$9,690.12!!!!!!
Santa made a stop at 54 Stony Brook Drive and we presented The Kevin Guest House with a check for OVER $8300!
We continued to receive donations from visitors in our neighborhood, from businesses and family and friends too….the GRAND TOTAL of the amount we raised to The Kevin Guest House was…
What a great neighborhood!!!
We would like to take this opportunity to ask you assist us in communicating further with you going forward.
- Please use the box on the right hand side to signup for our newsletter so we can keep you updated year round on how your donations are being put to good use!
- NextDoor is a social network limited to specific neighborhoods. This will allow us to better communicate. It is very easy to signup by clicking on the following link.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Facebook
Thank you very much!
StonyBrook Shines for Others
Kevin Guest House, the nation’s first Hospital Hospitality House, offers a safe, warm, secure respite providing comfort, support and affordable accommodations for patients, outpatients and their loved ones.
Kevin Guest House has been welcoming guests to our community for over 39years. Kevin Guest House provides an atmosphere of caring and hospitality which helps families focus on their loved-ones, without the stress of finding temporary, affordable accommodations near local health care facilities and services. This “home away from home” serves more than 1,200 people each year that might otherwise have to endure substandard accommodations at a very difficult time in their lives.
Mr. and Mrs. Cyril Garvey of Sharon, Pennsylvania were instrumental in acquiring the property located near the corner of Ellicott and High Streets in Buffalo, N.Y, now known as Kevin Guest House, as a memorial to their son Kevin who, on January 14, 1972, at the age of 13, lost his battle with cancer. During the period of Kevin’s treatment at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, the Garveys became aware that many other families, who were also experiencing stressful situations with loved ones undergoing cancer treatment, were unable to afford adequate housing near the hospital. Some of these families slept in their cars as a last resort!
Thus, the Garvey family’s memorial to Kevin was established to provide temporary, safe refuge for patients and their families at a nominal fee. In 1972, a group of civic-minded community leaders formed a not-for-profit corporation, complete with a Board of Directors, to supervise the management of Kevin Guest House. Volunteers obtained donations of paint, wallpaper and furniture, and began renovating the main house. Through their persistence and hard work, Kevin Guest House welcomed its first guests on July 26, 1972. This hospitality has been extended to families of patients who are receiving treatment at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo General Hospital and other area hospitals.
In cooperation with the Roswell Park bone marrow treatment unit, the four apartments adjacent to the main house were made available for that purpose. One of them is completely handicapped accessible. These guest spaces serve bone marrow patients who require separate housing due to their severely weakened immune systems. Of equal importance to the patients is the home-like atmosphere of each apartment, which truly does help to promote the physical and mental wellness of each guest.
We are so very fortunate to have the very first hospitality house right here in Western New York! Please make a donation so that we can make our neighborhood shine while helping the Kevin Guest House grow!
Without the help of our community and business sponsors, we would not be able
to raise the amount of money we do each year! Thank you to the following
sponsors, who have helped to raise money for our charities of choice. We hope that you can personally thank them by using their
services and/or just saying thank you!
2014 Sponsors so far!
1. DKM Sales…over 20 GORGEOUS signs were created and hung in our neighborhood and for Moore Avenue Shines in Tonawanda! Please go to DKMsales.com to see what they are all about.
2. RIPAS Restaurant….please consider going to RIPA’s for your next lunch or dinner, especially during the holiday season. A great place to eat…and a great sponsor! Visit http://www.RIPAS.com….you can like them on Face Book!)
3. RIVAS Pizzeria…located just down the street from Stony Brook…call 681-2021 and place your holiday orders for some pizza and wings!
4. ADAMS Nursery and Garden Center…they have donated every year since we began to ask for business sponsors. Please check out their Christmas display and trees. Located at 5799 Genesee Street…nice and close!
5. RONNY’s TAKE OUT…call 716-681-1900 located at 222 Aurora Street (at Como Park Blvd) in Lancaster. Be sure to call them for those yummy quick and easy meals this holiday season.
6. Liberty Taxes/Mr. Eric Porter…visit them on George Urban Boulevard during the upcoming tax season!
7. TRS Heating and Cooling…you have seen them in the neighborhood for sure…we are thankful for their support! Give them a call for your heating and cooling needs!
8. Brady Work Place Safety Group..what a wonderful addition to our business sponsors…thanks for your generous donation! Please think of them for all of your business safety needs.
9. Maureen and Anthony Prinzbach (Hunt Realty)…as always, Maureen has contributed a very generous amount to our event this year. If you would like to sell your house (why would you?) or happen to know someone looking for a new house…please give her a call!
10. Tops Supermarket...Transit and Rehm Store….they not only made a donation, our friends provided some hot cocoa, coffee and other treats for all of us to enjoy during the check presentation. We are thankful to have such a neighborhood friendly store so close by. Thanks for attending the presentation too…it is always nice to see our friends from Tops!
Our 2013 Sponsors….
DKM and RIPAS Restaurant and…Tops Markets…Transit Road Lancaster Adams Nurseries... Ronny’s Take Out… Try-It Distributing Co, Inc… Hunt Real Estate Marrano Marc Equity and friends/employees…. Heather DeCarolis (owner) of De Salon.. Upstate Niagara Cooperative, Inc.. Canine and Company.. SMAZ Landscaping and Plowing…Salvatores Italian Gardens..